Introducing a new program from The Landmark Society
Old House Help is a new program designed to help homeowners navigate old-house maintenance and care. Program elements include:
- Homeowner Tax Credit Application Services
- Preservation Board Assistance
- Informational Webinars & Workshops
- Curb Appeal Consults through our Young Urban Preservationists
HOMEOWNER TAX CREDIT APPLICATION SERVICES
Attention homeowners in National Register historic districts! Did you know that you are eligible to apply to the NYS Historic Homeownership Rehabilitation Tax Credit program? Administered by the NY State Historic Preservation Office, this program provides a credit off your NYS income tax that helps offset the cost of repairs and upgrades to your historic home!
We want to help you save money and maintain your home’s character. Tune in for our next Informational Webinar OR hire us to do the application work for you!
Am I eligible for tax credits?
There are two primary requirements to be eligible for the NYS Historic Homeowners Tax Credit program:
- Your home must be located in a National Register historic district or be individually listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- You must be in a qualifying census tract. Contact us and we’ll let you know if you are (all historic districts located in the city of Rochester are).
- You must be an owner-occupant of the home.
Is my house in a historic district?
There are over a dozen National Register-listed historic districts within the city of Rochester. They include:
- Maplewood Historic District
- Arvine Heights Historic District
- Sibley-Elmdorf Historic District (Sibley Tract in the 19th Ward)
- Chili-West Historic District (19th Ward)
- Inglewood & Thurston Historic District (19th Ward)
- Grove Place Historic District
- Third Ward (Corn Hill) Historic District
- Madison Square – West Main Historic District (Susan B. Anthony Neighborhood)
- Mt. Hope – Highland Historic District
- Linden-South Historic District
- South Wedge Historic District
- East Avenue Historic District
- Park Avenue Historic District
- Browncroft Historic District
There are also many districts throughout our region, as well as areas that are eligible to become historic districts. Have questions about whether you’re in a historic district? Email us!
Esther Krakower Scholarship Program
Homeowners with National Register-listed properties and incomes below $50,000 (for single income households) or $90,000 (for dual income households) can apply for scholarships that cover the full cost of hiring Landmark staff to complete the Homeowner Tax Credit application.