In partnership with the NYS Office of the Governor and NYS Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation, The Landmark Society of Western New York is pleased to announce the recipients of Round 1 funding through the Genesee Valley Rural Revitalization (GVRR) Grant Program!
This program, funded by the Paul Bruhn Historic Revitalization Grants Program through the Historic Preservation Fund, administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, aims to support historic restoration and rehabilitation projects in our rural Finger Lakes and Western New York communities. Over 80 applications were received during Round 1 with more than $3 million in grant requests. 7 projects have been selected and a total of $300,515.00 has been awarded in Round 1. The awarded projects include:
Photo credit: Dan Dangler
Holley Oddfellows Hall – Holley (Orleans County)
Village of Holley Development Corporation
Grant Amount: $50,000
The Holley Oddfellows Hall is an anchor in Holley’s downtown commercial district and exemplifies late-19th century main street commercial architecture. Previously utilized for both commercial and residential purposes, the building has sat vacant since 2010. The GVRR Grant funding will be used to stabilize the building by repairing the roof and masonry to prevent further water infiltration so that the building can be put into use once again.
MacKenzie House – Belmont (Allegany County)
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Allegany County
Grant Amount: $49,210
The MacKenzie house is an intact example of the neoclassical residential style. The home is associated with William H. MacKenzie, a longtime owner and former NY assemblyman who is credited with establishing the SUNY educational system. The property will be rehabilitated by Cornell Cooperative Extension of Allegany County for offices and classroom space. The GVRR Grant funding will be used for ADA upgrades and exterior painting and repairs.
Epworth Hall – Silver Lake (Wyoming County)
Silver Lake Institute
Grant Amount: $40,000
Epworth Hall is in the Silver Lake community and is a spectacular example of a large-scale 19th century assembly hall with Queen Anne interior and Colonial Revival exterior detailing. Previously a public meeting house by the Silver Lake Assembly during the Second Great Awakening. Now used by the Silver Lake Institute for public events, the GVRR Grant funding will be used for asbestos floor abatement and original wood floor refinishing.
American Hotel – Lima (Livingston County)
Grant Amount: $45,600
The American Hotel is a cornerstone within the Lima Village Historic District and remains relatively unaltered from its original 1862 appearance. This building is located at the intersection of the original Genesee Turnpike, now Routes 5 & 20, and has served the community and travelers for over 160 years. The GVRR Grant funding will rehabilitate and repair the front portico and main entryway door to the building.
Historic Hollywood Theater – Gowanda (Cattaraugus County)
Gowanda’s Historic Hollywood Theater, Ltd.
Grant Amount: $35,500
The Historic Hollywood Theater is the only National Register-listed theater in Cattaraugus County and still retains many of its original features, including hand-painted murals. The theater has been undergoing restoration for several years and the GVRR Grant funding will be used for an evaluation of the parapet to determine the extent of needed masonry repair and the repointing of mortar joints along the parapet to ensure the safety of pedestrians and the building.
Mills Mansion – Mount Morris (Livingston County)
Mount Morris Historical Society
Grant Amount: $37,405
Mills Mansion, constructed in 1838 in the Federal style with Greek detailing, was the home of General William Augustus Mills who founded Mount Morris and Livingston County. General Mills commanded troops from six counties during the War of 1812 and defended Fort Niagara. The building is now the headquarters of the Mount Morris Historical Society. The GVRR Grant funding will be used to restore the mansion’s thirty-three windows and repair the stone steps and landing at the front entrance.
Palmer Opera House – Cuba (Allegany County)
Friends of Cuba Architecture
Grant Amount: $42,800
The Palmer Opera House is the most prominent building within the Cuba Main Street Historic District and retains its historic storefront appearance. Historically, the opera house hosted stage shows and programs until the mid-1930s and high school graduations and basketball games into the 1940s. Since 2005, restoration efforts have brought life back to the building. The GVRR Grant funding will allow for repairs to the roof and masonry mortar deterioration.