Transforming Buildings & Neighborhoods
208 Mill Street
Originally constructed as a two-story building (c.1826), this is one of the city’s oldest buildings and the first in Brown’s Race. Powered by the Triphammer Mill it was home to the Selye Fire Engine Company and later used for lantern manufacturing, shoe pattern production, and held an office equipment company. In 1984 it was donated to WXXI, used for storage, and sold to someone who wanted to redevelop it into a hotel. Those plans never materialized and the City acquired it through foreclosure. In 2006, Ben Kendig bought it from the City for $1 and converted it into mixed office and residential units. The $2 Million project resulted in the renovation of a structurally unsound but historically significant building being added back to the City’s tax roll. The roof, 126 windows, and the walls (which the inner floors were supported by) all had to be replaced.
Want to see more “eyesores” that have been turned into economic opportunities and assets for our neighborhoods and city? Visit our Success Stories page to see the full list.