Landmark Travels: Holland (Michigan!) Tulip Festival
May 12, 2022 - May 19, 2022
Holland (Michigan) Tulip Festival
featuring Mackinac Island’s Grand Hotel
Thursday May 12 – Thursday May 19, 2022
Travel with us to Michigan in 2022 to experience the Holland Tulip Festival, a stay at the Mackinac Island’s Grand Hotel and more in the week-long travel tour. Free airfare included if booked by August 31, 2021 (but the spots are going very fast!)
The trip will begin in Chicago, with a group welcome dinner on Thursday evening and an overnight stay in the city. On Friday, we’ll enjoy a panoramic tour of downtown Chicago with a local guide, and then depart for Michigan and arrive in Holland at the height of the annual tulip festival. Holland’s only tulip farm will be ablaze with acres of tulips in brilliant color in a Dutch setting of windmills, drawbridges and canals. Saturday will continue in Holland, with a visit to “De Zwaan,” a 240-year old working windmill. We’ll also explore a miniature Netherlands Village, a candle-making shop, and an antique carousel with hand carved wooden horses. That afternoon, the group will enjoy reserved seating at the Muziekparade (Music Parade), where local and national marching bands, floats, giant helium balloons, and Dutch dancers will perform. Friday and Saturday evening will be spent in Grand Rapids.
On Sunday, we will travel to Mackinac Island by motorcoach and ferry, with a horse-drawn carriage tour upon arrival. Monday you will have the entire day at leisure on the island, and can browse the shops, visit historic Fort Mackinac, or rent bikes and pedal along the coast of Lake Huron. A private lecture with a local historian will showcase the history of the island. Our hotel for two nights is a historic site in its own right: the Grand Hotel. Built in 1897, the Grand Hotel was named by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as One of A Dozen Distinctive Destinations, and has received a number of distinguished awards from some of the top travel industry publications in the world.
On Tuesday we will depart Mackinac Island and travel through the Great Lakes State. Our destination is Dearborn, the heartland of the Ford Motor Company, where we will spend the next two nights. The following day, we will go behind the scenes at the world’s largest automotive complex as you watch the Ford F150 pickup truck being built on a Ford Motor Company factory tour. That afternoon you will have the choice of visiting the Henry Ford Museum or Greenfield Village. On Wednesday evening there will be a farewell dinner hosted by your tour manager. Thursday we will journey home, with a group transfer to Detroit Metropolitan Airport or Chicago’s O’Hare Airport.
What is included:
- Airfare included if booked by August 31, 2021
- 14 meals: 7 breakfasts and 7 dinners
- Spend one night in downtown Chicago with a guided sightseeing tour of the “Windy City”
- Attend the annual Tulip Festival in Holland, steeped in the area’s rich Dutch heritage
- Visit Veldheer-DeKlomp Tulip Gardens, ablaze with acres of brilliant color in a Dutch setting
- Attend the Dutch Musiekparade (Music Parade) featuring local and national marching bands, floats, and Dutch Dancers
- Spend two nights at the Grand Hotel, the crown jewel of Mackinac Iland
- Explore the charm of a bygone era on Mackinac Island and learn of its history during a private lecture with a local historian
- Tour Mackinac Island via a horse-drawn carriage en route to the hotel
- Take the River Rouge Ford Factory Tour to see the F150 pickup truck being built
- Have the choice of visiting either The Henry Ford Museum or Greenfield Village
- $40 in Mayflower Money
- Six lunches on your own
- Optional (but recommended!) travel interruption and cancellation insurance (available for $200 per person)
Per Person Twin: $3,498
Single Supplement: $1,099
Reservation Deposit: $200
More Details & Reservations
A full itinerary including hotel details can be found here. Please contact Larry Francer (firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-537-5954) for more information.
To reserve your spot, please download and complete the reservation form here and send completed form with check for $200 deposit and optional $200 travel insurance to:
The Landmark Society
5 Castle Park
Rochester, NY 14620