The Stewardship Award recognizes an individual or organization who has provided continued care of and commitment to the preservation of an architecturally and/or historically significant public property over a period of years.
St. James Episcopal Church
405 East Main Street, City of Batavia, Genesee County
One of the oldest congregations in Genesee County, St. James Episcopal Church is a major landmark on Main Street in the city of Batavia. Its landmark Gothic Revival building was constructed in 1908 and features cut stone construction with cast stone detailing. Over the past several years, the congregation has completed a major restoration of the exterior cast stone, tower, and quarried stone on their historic edifice. This $400,000 project included a grant from the Sacred Sites program, as well as several innovative fund-raising efforts. This challenging project included fabricating new cast concrete details, covering coping joints with lead and copper flashing, careful patching of stonework, building a new roof deck and deck structure with steel beams, and restoring stained glass windows. The project was coordinated by Bero Architecture, PLLC with Catenary Construction (masonry), Pike Stained Glass Studio, and Southside Pre-Cast of Buffalo, contractors.
The Landmark Society’s 2016 Annual Preservation Awards ceremony will take place on Sunday, November 13 at 3 PM in Rochester’s historic City Hall, the handsomely restored Richardsonian Romanesque landmark located downtown at 30 Church Street.